Dreaming of owning a beautiful, hand-crafted wooden boat of your own? Our apprentices, skilled volunteers, and professional boat building instructors will work together to build your dream boat at a very reasonable cost. Not only will you end up with a uniquely beautiful boat, but you will be helping to support our program activities. If you like, you can join our Wednesday night crew of volunteers and help build it yourself. Below you will find a list of the boats we build, but don’t let this stifle your imagination. If you have a dream, talk to us and we will let you know if we can make it a reality.
This is an eye-catching piece of true Scandinavian heritage. This versatile boat rows beautifully, could be rigged for sail, or could be efficiently powered by an electric trolling motor. It also makes a wonderful tow-behind dingy for larger boats.
- Douglas Fir transom
- Douglas Fir frames
- Pine planking
- Easy-to-maintain oil finish.
Base price: $1,995
Quiet, serene, solo paddling in those hard to get to places is what the Wee Lassie excels at. It is designed to have a low seat and paddled with a double bladed paddle. It also can be paddled in the kneeling position as a free style canoe. The short length and narrow slight V-bottom hull makes this an ideal canoe for shallow, twisty streams and rivers. Flared sides give it good final stability and makes it very seaworthy on larger bodies of water which could have wind and waves.
We took the original wee-lassie and adapted it to skin-on-frame construction. This makes it a lot lighter, more durable with much less maintenance.
- Northern white pine construction, ash ribs and walnut trim
- 9 oz. nylon skin; lightweight and tough
- Clear Polyurethane coating
- External walnut keel for abrasion resistance.
- Traditional Oil Finish (on wood)
Base price: $1,350
If you like to row, fish, or take romantic paddles on a lake, this skiff is a good choice. With its traditional wooden construction, it has an old-world appeal that's hard to find nowadays. Its external oak keel and hefty bottom planking make it a sturdy choice for an afternoon trip. Grab your fishing rod, tackle, and picnic lunch and you're in business for a pleasant day!
- Northern white pine planks, cherry structural members
- Stainless steel fastenings
- Quality marine enamel and tung oil finish
- Maneuverable and laterally stable
Base price: $1,100
With Oars: $1,300
A multiple day tripping canoe design by Urban Boatbuilders. It is a derivative of the acclaimed Atkinson Traveler designed by Rollin Thurlow. It also has slightly curved stems and a graceful sheer line. This canoe was originally designed for wood canvas construction and we have updated it by using skin-on-frame boat construction techniques to create a lighter weight and more unique canoe.
- Northern white pine and ash construction with cherry trim.
- 9 oz. nylon skin; lightweight and tough.
- Clear polyurethane coating
- External ash keel for abrasion resistance.
- Traditional oil finish (on wood)
- Stable, fast, good tracker
Base price: $1,750
We have built a number of these kayaks and used them on our Mississippi Passages. They are stable, fast, comfortable, track well, and perform beautifully.
- White pine framing
- 9 oz. ballistic nylon skin
- Three coats of marine varnish
- Light, easily car-topped craft.
- Very fast boat with an integral skeg for good tracking
Base price: $1,500